Some of you reading this may be wondering whether giving your doctor retirement gifts is considered good etiquette. Some of you may just be wondering what retirement gifts for doctors you should pick. Whatever your situation, we’re here to help with some hints, tips and retirement gift ideas for doctors, so you don’t have to spend days pondering your gift.
Doctors work hard during their careers, and spread love, compassion and healing to a large number of people. When it’s time for retirement a great way to show how much their hard work is appreciated is by giving them a gift. Whether the retiring doctor is a member of your family, friend or your own physician a gift will show that you care and respect all they have done, and everything they stand for.
Retirement gifts come in all shapes and sizes, some with a particular profession in mind, and others that are aimed at a more general section of the population. To save you hours of endless searching, we’ve picked some of our favorites.
Humorous doctor retirement gifts
When you are a doctor, you have joined a group of well-respected professionals. On the whole, doctors are very busy, motivated and admired. Joining the ranks of retired people can be a difficult transition for many doctors to make. Help them out and give them a retirement gift for a doctor that will make the change a little easier.
- Personalized key ring – Include a funny quote or joke and it’ll be a gift that always brings a smile to their face.
- Pillow – With “retirement nap pillow” printed on it.
- Fridge magnet – Marked with the message “Old doctors never die, they just lose their patients”.
- Jewelry – Stethoscope bracelet, wishbone necklace, or a bracelet in the shape of a normal heartbeat.
- Shot glasses – With “Trust me, I’m a Doctor” engraved on them.
- Antique doctor’s equipment – Take an afternoon and look around your local junk shop to see if you can find some antique medical equipment, posters, or books.
- Syringe pens – The doctor might not be giving out any more injections, but there’s no reason not to give the game away, with a gift that functions as a pen, but looks just like a real syringe.
Retirement gifts more suited for female doctors
Whether the doctor is a member of your family, a general practitioner you visit on a regular basis, or one that you’ve grown to admire during a period of personal illness, their retirement will have a profound effect on you. And of course you’ll want to say thank you for all they have done. Both female and male doctors are going to appreciate similar kinds of gifts, but some are more suitable for female doctors. Here are a few examples:
- Relevant books – There are some very relevant books for retiring female doctors. “Fabulous Female Physicians” is a great example. It is a biographical history of a collection of famous female doctors, and may be inspirational for your favorite female physician.
- Brand of makeup that supports charity – There are a few cosmetic brands that include a range of make-up, the proceeds of which go to specific charities such as one that supports individuals afflicted by AIDS/HIV.
- Donation to a relevant charity – A donation to the female doctor’s favorite charity will show that you care about her and her work.
Give a retiring doctor the opportunity to enjoy a new experience
Recent research has shown that experiences are likely to make the recipient much happier and with that in mind, it’s no surprise that gifting experiences has become very popular. Some of the gifts on offer can keep on giving, such as gift membership, theater tickets, magazine subscriptions and so much more.
Giving the gift of an experience can be a little risky if you aren’t sure about the recipient’s preferences, but pick the right one and your gift will rate high on the scale of happiness. Here are a few of our favorite experience ideas for retiring doctors:
- Season tickets to a theater or series of concerts – Buy the retiring doctor tickets to some upcoming shows, or concerts.
- Golf club membership – If the doctor hasn’t already found a new hobby, maybe golf is the answer. An annual membership or at least a few sessions on the driving range will give the recipient a chance to learn more about the game.
- Annual pass to a popular local attraction – Would the retiring doctor love to spend more time with the grandchildren. Season tickets to a local attraction will be the opportunity they need.
- Museum membership – An annual subscription to somewhere like the Smithsonian costs less than a full tank of gas, and includes issues of their magazine. It also includes other discounts which make this gift worth giving.
- Zoo membership – There are hundreds of zoos and botanical gardens located across the USA, and many offer further discounts to other zoos across the USA, Canada, and Mexico.
- Classes – Do you know whether your favorite doctor wants to learn to dance? Or whether they’ve been longing to learn more about cooking. Perhaps you’re aware of the doctor’s desire to learn to paint. Classes in a well-chosen subject is the sort of retirement gift that will be remembered for years.
- Subscription to an online music or movie channel – A subscription to an online service such as Netflix or Spotify will be a good retirement gift for a doctor.
- Wine tasting club – There maybe a wine of food tasting club that runs in the doctor’s neighborhood so why not sign him up for a few meetings?
- Magazine subscription – An annual magazine subscription is a good gift for a doctor, provided you are aware of his interests. If you want your gift to last longer than a year, make sure the renewal form is sent to you not the retiree.
And if the retiring doctor is really adventurous, why not consider one of the following?
- Bungee jumping
- White water rafting
- Driving experiences
- Flying experiences
- Scenic cruises
- Hot air balloon rides
Retirement is a long awaited event in many people’s lives, and when you work as hard as a doctor does the joy can be celebrated by choosing the perfect retirement gift. You may not know the doctor in question very well, but that doesn’t mean you can’t ask around for an idea of their taste. Even if you don’t want to take this course of action there are plenty of other doctor related gifts available, so don’t worry. And to help ease the burden we’ll be featuring lots more useful retirement gift ideas.